HISTORY OF ANNA
The original owners of the territory surrounding Anna were the Indians, primarily the Miamis and Shawnees, who roamed the area at different times before the white settlers came. The French, under the leadership of LaSalle and Marquette, explored the interior of the Mississippi Valley from 1669 to 1682. The French claimed the territory under these explorations, though the British laid claim by their earlier explorations on the coast. This dispute of territory started the French and Indian War which lasted from 1754 to 1763. By the terms of the treaty, the English gained possession of the French territory, Canada, and all the territory east of the Mississippi. The colonists declared themselves independent, and by the treaty of Paris in 1783, gained the territory from the Mississippi, south of the Great Lakes, to Florida, becoming an independent nation. As territory was fought for and won from the Indians, settlements sprang up in Cleveland, Chillicothe, Zanesville, Dayton, and many other places. Settlers came from the eastern states in such large numbers that in 1803, Ohio was admitted as a state.
The early pioneers of Anna were John W. Carey, Josiah Greene and John Munch, who came from Dayton in 1833. J.W. Carey owned 1,000 acres of land located west of the present B&O Railroad. Josiah Greene purchased 160 acres between the present B&O Railroad and County Road 25-A. John Munch owned land east of Pike Street.
The Village was first laid out by J.W. Carey in 1858. It was afterward surveyed by John L. and Fletcher Thirkield and lies in Section 28, Town 7 South, Range 6 East, as surveyed in 1867. An important change took place about this time. The Village was renamed from Carey’s Station to Anna, in honor of Mr. Carey’s daughter.
Grain and lumber became a major industry for Anna, and in 1861, the first saw mill in Anna was built. This mill initiated a boom in development, including housing, the construction of the Black Bull Inn and Billing’s Insurance Agency.
With all of the development in the 1860’s, there had already been dreams of incorporation of the Village. This dream was finally realized when Anna was incorporated by petition on June 26, 1877.
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,567 people, 551 households, and 429 families residing in the Village. The population density was 1,521.4 inhabitants per square mile. There were 589 housing units at an average density of 571.8 per square mile. The racial makeup of the Village was 97.4% White, 0.4% African American, 0.4% Native American, 0.2% Asian, 0.1% from other races, and 1.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.6% of the population.
There were 551 households of which 47.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.4% were married couples living together, 13.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 6.7% had a male householder with no wife present, and 22.1% were non-families. 18.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.84 and the average family size was 3.20.
The median age in the Village was 31.1 years. 33.4% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.2% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 30.5% were from 25 to 44; 21.9% were from 45 to 64; and 7.1% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the Village was 48.4% male and 51.6% female.
The median income for a household in the Village was $55,447, and the median income for a family was $59,396.
Online or phone
payments can be made
by debit or credit card.
A service fee is charged
for each transaction.
|• Pay by ACH|
|Anna Local Schools|
|Anna Community Library|
|Shelby County, Ohio|
Chamber of Commerce
|Shelby County Recycling|
|State of Ohio Government|
|Time Warner Cable|